Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Shooting Ones Wad...

...I am afraid that is what Chuck Palahniuk did that. I just finished reading "Haunted". I don't have cable and don't have a real job, so I have taken back up recreational reading. FUN COME ALIVE! It was a fun read. But, one of my favorite books is "Fight Club". I have read it four times. Twice for school and twice for fun. It is great. It is also one of the few books I have read that is actually awesome to correspond with the movie. However, "Fight Club" was his first book. Chuck has written a dozen or so more books since then. "Haunted," while being fun, disgusting, weird, and spooky all at the same time, lacks something. It takes the guise of being a post-modern Canterbury Tales, but I never got that feeling from it. Palahnuik never take the voice of his story tellers. He keeps his own voice. His own voice is the voice of 30-something hipsters. You might be saying, "Rochester, that's only two books." Oh no my friends, I have read two of his shorts stories, one from an old GQ and another from Playboy. (I have had it since 2001, so I am actually starting to read these damn things!) Those two stories have the same problem. But, you know what? I am going to read "Choke" and "Survivor" because I want to believe that they won't have the same problems. I truly do.

No comments: