Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Rudy Ray Moore: A Life Remembered


Rudy Ray Moore died today. And anyone who knows me, knows this is a pretty big blow to me and my life. Just the other day I had the tags on my car renewed. They have something to do with Rudy Ray Moore character of Dolemite. The black lady at the DMV muttered under her breath, "What do you know about about Dolemite?" I made a pretty big scene. Going back and forth with movies and quotes. It made the other DMV worker laugh. I then pointed to my belt, in which is inscribed simply "DOLEMITE". They both just laughed their asses off.

Rudy Ray Moore was first introduced to me and my friends back on my 16th birthday. We had the 1st ever Rudy Ray Moore Film Festival. We watched all of his films in a single night. It changed all of our lives and perspectives on things. It was a hell of a thing to do to a group of upper-middle class white kids in the middle of NC. Every year we tried to meet for my birthday and do it all over again. We had roughly 6 film festivals in all. J-Bizz came to some of them and he spread the word of Rudy Ray to his friends in Athens, GA. Once I was hanging out with one of the aforementioned friends who broke out a, "Bitch, are you for real?" I jump up and gave one of the hardest high five I have ever given. I will miss Rudy Ray Moore and I will miss his franchise as well. I hope he is able to keep the angels in line in heaven. And God, remember he don't wear no cotton draws.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A sad day indeed. Although I am a latecomer to the ways of R.R.M., I too have been inspired by his works. I will never be afraid to high tail it out of a sticky situation, even if I'm wearing just a smile. When is the post-humous film tribute?