Tuesday, July 05, 2005

America. FUCK YEAH!

So, July 4th has come and gone. I went to a lovely cook-out at J-Biz's house. The High Life and coversation were bubbly. Towards the end of the evening when Matt stubbled in from the Garden Party State, I had to be more competiitve with my comments. I grew up in a fairly loud house and if you didn't blurt out what you had to say then you didn't get heard. This holds true to this very day. I, believe it or not, stay rather quite at Christmas and Thanksgiving dinner. However, I formed the speech defect because of this. I try to say what I am thinking well before it was thought out. I often switch letters with other letters and in heat of a good old fashioned toe-to-toe smartass comment-off, it can almost sound like I am speaking a foreign language. It is AWFUL when I am drinking, too. (And, I am always drinking in those kinds of situations.) Now, why to I preface this? Because I have a language fetish. I love hearing new words, of hearing old words used in an interesting fashion. I love buthcering the English language. I love sayings that make no sense. The one that has become of particular interest to me it the statement "How come they can put a man on the moon, but..." I find this interesting to me because it is never anyting earth shattering. It is always something like "How come they can put a man on the moon, but they can't make a clean smelling shampoo for my pubic lice." Or, "How come they can put a man on the moon, but they can't make a low-fat mayo that taste good." I mean, I think with all the things our government has to deal with they could at least ban this phrase unless it is talking about nuclear war or genocide. How come they can put a man on the moon, but they cannot stop knuckleheads from sayin' "How come they can put a man on the moon, but...". DAMN!

No comments: